24.com is appointing a Data Engineer situated at our office in Cape Town or Johannesburg, developing our major data infrastructure components and data products. You will be working on the team that owns the Datawarehouse and analytics products for 24.com. This includes predictive models for various aspects of the business.
You will be working primarily within the Google Cloud Environment using a variety of the tools that Google offers from Biquery and Dataproc to Kubernettes and AI Hub. You should ideally dream in Python and speak SQL. You shouldn’t be afraid to dive into dirty data and help the team make sense of it. We are in the game of taking data and turning it into amazing stories and pretty pictures that helps the decision makers drive the business forward.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Contribute to low level solution design workshops with fellow team members during whiteboard sessions
- Work closely with peers in the business to fully understand the business process and requirements
- Work closely with other teams when necessary to create software that is cohesive
- Build and maintain scalable data products
- Take ownership at all stages of the product development life cycle
- Deliver well-tested and reviewed solutions
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to be relied upon to ensure that projects within areas of responsibility are completed in a timely manner
- Ability to monitor your own activities and take corrective action where necessary
- Ability to constructively help others in the team and by so doing raise team performance
- Ability to work with others toward shared goals and meeting or exceeding them
- Ability to easily share ideas
- Flexible about working with new methodologies and technologies
- Being pro-active and self-managing
- Performance driven while staying cost effective.
- Scheduling and Orchestration (Airflow/Composer)
- Containerisation (Kubernetes, Docker)
- Elastic search or Solr
- Data Warehousing concepts
- Data governance Concepts.
- Apache beam (Cloud Dataflow)
- Apache Spark (Dataproc)
- BSc or B-Tech in Computer Science or IT preferred
- 2+ years development experience working with Python
- Data skills (Traditional SQL and No-SQL)
- Large scale ETL
- High scale Restful Services
- Cloud experience (Google Cloud Platform, Azure, or AWS)
Media24 is a leading media company in Africa with interests in digital media, newspapers, magazines, printing, distribution, book publishing, job classifieds and ecommerce. Media24’s digital media division, 24.com, is a leading African network of popular digital publishing brands and online services across internet, mobile and applications. 24.com is dedicated to creating and sustaining uniquely African online and mobile communities. As South Africa’s largest digital publishing house, the network welcomes over 16 million local unique browsers monthly. Media24 is part of Naspers, a multinational group of media and ecommerce platforms.
Disclaimer: Preference will be given to employment equity candidates.