Cloud Data Engineer
24.com is appointing a Data Engineer situated at our office in Cape Town, developing our major data infrastructure components and data products.
You will be working on the team that owns the Datawarehouse and analytics products for 24.com.
This includes, predictive models for various aspects of the business.
You will be working primarily within the Google Cloud Environment using a variety of the tools that
Google offers from Biquery and Dataproc to Kubernettes and AI Hub.
You should ideally dream in Python and speak SQL. You should not be afraid to dive into dirty data
and help the team make sense of it. We are in the game of taking data and turning it into amazing
stories and pretty pictures that helps the decision makers drive the business forward.
- Contribute to low level solution design workshops with fellow team members during
- whiteboard sessions
- Work closely with peers in the business to fully understand the business process and requirements
- Work closely with other teams when necessary to create software that is cohesive
- Build and maintain scalable data products
- Take ownership at all stages of the product development life cycle
- Deliver well-tested and reviewed solutions
Qualifications and Experience
- BSc or B-Tech in Computer Science or IT preferred diploma
- 5+ years development experience working with Python
- Data skills (Traditional SQL and No-SQL)
- Large scale ETL
- High scale Restful Services
- Cloud experience (Google Cloud Platform, Azure, or AWS)
- Scheduling and Orchestration (Airflow/Composer)
- Containerisation (Kubernetes, Docker)
- BigQuery, Elastic search or Solr
- Redis, Data Warehousing concepts
- Data governance Concepts.
- Apache beam (Cloud Dataflow)
- Apache Spark (Dataproc)
Skills and Competencies
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to be relied upon to ensure that projects within areas of responsibility are completed
- Ability to monitor your own activities and take corrective action where necessary
- Ability to constructively help others in the team and by so doing raise team performance
- Ability to work with others toward shared goals and meeting or exceeding them
- Ability to easily share ideas
- Flexible about working with new methodologies and technologies
- Being pro-active and self-managing
- Performance driven while staying cost effective.
Benefits of Working at Media 24 under the 24.com brand(Digital side of the business):
- Flexible working hours - core office hours: 10am-3pm.
- Remote working 2 days a week and when life happens.
- Department wide tech stack: From Android, iOS, and React native to .NET Core,
- Redis, ElasticSearch, SQL Server, Azure, and GCP.
- Part of the Naspers group!
- The opportunity to learn and grow: Naspers MyAcademy —
- including free access to selectedUdemy courses relevant to our tech and business.
- Opportunities for further study and skills development.
- Opportunities to attend relevant tech events, conferences and expos.
- Optional medical aid and flexible retirement funding.
Disclaimer: **According to the companys’ EE and transformation policy, preference will be given to employment equity candidates**